Auditions for Singers
Audition information for SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD appears below.
Saturday, November 23, 2013 from 11:00am-3:00pm
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 from 6:00pm-9:30pm
**Note AUDITION DATE CHANGE from 11/21 to 11/26**
SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD Audition Information
Auditions are open to all high-school aged singers in Maryland, Virginia and DC.
When you register for an audition, you will select a 30 minute time block for November 23rd or 26th (NEW AUDITION DATE!). Auditioners for each time block will audition in order of arrival. Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled audition time.
ACCEPTANCE NOTIFICATION: You will be notified if you have been accepted into SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD by Thursday, November 28, 2013.
Singers that are accepted into the Vocal Ensemble will have to accept their position for SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD by paying their tuition no later than Monday, December 1, 2013.
"It's about one moment. It’s about hitting the wall and having to make a choice, or take a stand, or turn around and go back." - JRB
A unique musical song cycle composed by Jason Robert Brown. This will be the DC area premiere of the FULLY ORCHESTRATED version and will welcome Tony award winning composer Jason Robert Brown himself as guest pianist and conductor who act as Guest Mentor and rehearse and perform with our students!
Unless otherwise notified, all auditions and rehearsals will take place in the Chorus Room at Winston Churchill High School: 11300 Gainsborough Road Potomac, MD 20854
Please prepare a contemporary musical theatre selection that best shows off your voice and musicality. A selection by Jason Robert Brown is not necessary, however please realize that SFANW is a contemporary show that requires healthy, pop style singing from participants.
There will be a pianist available at the audition. Please bring a clear copy of your sheet music in a black binder for the pianist.
In addition, you can ALSO prepare a pre-selected excerpt from SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD that is available for download by clicking the links below. This is optional but recommended if you want to be considered for a solo in the production.
Optional SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD selections available are:
Tuition for participation in SHOW BOAT IN CONCERT is $395.
Full $395 tuition must be paid to Young Artists of America via our website by Monday, December 1, 2013. Unfortunately, there can be no refunds to tuition after the first rehearsal.
SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD
Saturday, March 15, 2014 at 7:30pm
Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 3:00pm
Bish Auditorium at Winston Churchill High School
11300 Gainsborough Road Potomac, MD 20854
(Not all singers will be called to all rehearsals, but we ask that singers reserve all days below on their calendars.)
SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD
** Note that weeknight rehearsals change from Thursday evenings to Tuesday evenings in mid-February**
- Tuesday, December 3 from 7:00 - 9:00pm
- Saturday, December 7 from 11:00am - 2:00pm
- MONDAY, December 9 from 7:00 - 9:00pm
- Saturday, January 4 from 11:00am - 2:00pm
- THURSDAY, January 9 from from 7:00 - 9:00pm
- (Mandatory Parents' Meeting at 7:00pm)
- Saturday, January 11 from 11:00am - 2:00pm
- THURSDAY, January 16 from from 7:00 - 9:00pm
- Saturday, January 18 from 11:00am - 2:00pm
- THURSDAY, January 23 from from 7:00 - 9:00pm
- Saturday, January 25 from 11:00am - 2:00pm
- THURSDAY, January 30 from from 7:00 - 9:00pm
- Saturday, February 1 from 11:00am - 2:00pm
- THURSDAY, February 6 from from 7:00 - 9:00pm
- Saturday, February 8 from 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Tuesday, February 11 from from 7:00 - 9:00pm
- Saturday, February 15 from 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Tuesday, February 18 from from 7:00 - 9:00pm
- Saturday, February 22 from 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Tuesday, February 25 from from 7:00 - 9:00pm
- FRIDAY, February 28 from 7:00 - 9:30pm (STAGING)
- Saturday, March 1 from 11:00am - 2:00pm (STAGING)
- SUNDAY, March 2 from from 1:00 - 4:00pm (STAGING)
- Tuesday, March 4 from 7:00 - 9:00pm
- WEDNESDAY, March 5 from 7:00 - 9:30pm (STAGING)
- THURSDAY, March 6 from 7:00 - 9:30pm (STAGING)
- FRIDAY, March 7 from 7:00 - 9:30pm (STAGING)
- Saturday, March 8 from 11:00am - 2:00pm
- SUNDAY, March 9 from from 1:00 - 4:00pm (STAGING)
PRODUCTION WEEK (on stage):
- MONDAY, March 10 from 7:00 - 9:30pm
- TUESDAY, March 11 from 7:00 - 9:30pm
- WEDNESDAY, March 12 from 7:00 - 9:30pm
- THURSDAY, March 13 from 7:00 - 9:30pm
- FRIDAY, March 14 from 7:00 - 9:30pm
- Saturday, March 15 from 11:00am - 10:00pm (Dress Rehearsal and Performance)
- SUNDAY, March 16 from from 11:00am - 6:00pm (Q&A with JRB & Performance)
Due to the short rehearsal schedule for each concert, each YAA vocal ensemble member is allowed:
- THREE absences for SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD
These absences will include both illness and personal conflicts. We have worked very hard to have as few conflicts as possible with school and other extra-curricular activities and expect YAA vocalists to be prepared and on time to rehearsals.
Excessive absences may result in not being allowed to perform with YAA without refund of tuition.